Friday, September 14, 2007

Team Zinder

[September 13, 2007]

Well I JUST got back from "live-in" which means that I got an introduction to my village here in Zinder, and let me tell you it is amazing. Scary as hell being the only volunteer there but pretty amazing nonetheless. First of all it's beautiful...the village sits in a vallley with big rolling hills all around. Its breathtaking. Everyone is really nice and the people aren't too conservative so they understand if i wear pants and dont cover my head. its kinda cool. Also, I can exercise and go running and feel completely safe doing it (at training they told us it wasnt okay for a girl to go running by herself or not wear skirts, bla bla bla, which in some villages it isn't, but with mine, I got pretty lucky). There is defintely work to be done as well...nutrition projects, water issues, etc. However, I'm still learning the language so that is the goal for the next couple of months...can't really get much done if I can't communicate ya know? haha. Also, someone in my village speaks English! It was awesome at the time I found out because I got stuck at a market abotu 5K away and was freaking out about how I was goign to get back with the little water I had left adn low and behold this guy comes up to me and starts speaking english! I about hugged him..so needless to say he got me a ride back and I arrived safe and sound. He is going to help me a lot with the local language for sure. Anyway, I go back to training for two more weeks and then come back here to Zinder for the next two years (assuming i pass my language exam, crossing fingers)! Pretty exciting. Also, it might be comforting for you to know that there is another volunteer, kelly, pretty close to my village and we are going to meet at market atleast once a week..and she'll be staying the night probably once a week at my village as well. This is great because we can keep eachother sane adn also do projects and such together. Oh and in other good news I'm putting my name down on the waiting list for a bike because the road to the market is good enough terrain for a nice bike ride...yayyy exercise! Okay, I'm gonna wrap this up, hope all is well with everyone. Keep in touch and let me know how you all are doing as well!!!!

Peace and Love
Sommer

No comments: